THERE'S NO GOODNESS IN ME

 

THERE’S NO GOODNESS IN ME

BIBLE PASSAGE: GALATIANS 5:22-23; Romans 7:18; Matthew 12:33











  • Picture taken from Google
  • Lesson Prepared by: Krisha of Solomon’s Wisdom FB page
  • Lesson ideas taken from: https://www.sermoncentral.com/sermons

OCTOBER 30, 2022

 

MEMORY VERSE

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

GALATIANS 5:22-23

 

INTRODUCTION:

We always hear people say, “She’s’ / He’s good” especially when a person dies. I’m not against those people saying that because they said this in their standards. I remember a person who gave her comment to another person and the comment is somewhat like this, “Of all the teachers, I can say she is kindest among them all.” At the back of my mind I said, “You don’t know her well.” I became bitter (LOL). Honestly, my personality is different from my siblings. I am introvert person and in addition to that, I had a character which I don’t like but people said especially in our province “Mabait yang anak mo na yan (Your daughter is kind).” Maybe because they didn’t see me fighting with other playmates; I just sat and looked. I can’t voice out my feelings and sentiments. I remember my father got angry because he kept on asking me what’s going on with me why I didn’t talk; He got headache asking. At the end, I just said “Just sleep; it’s already late.” So you see, every one of us has dark sides. Romans 7:18 says,

“For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.”

(Continue Reading verses 19-25 – Give emphasis on verse 25)

But praise the Lord God has changed me a lot. I am still introvert but the Lord has changed my view of life, the way I treat people, the way I talk, and a lot more. Plus, there are times I have discernment on spiritual aspect, I see some problems which is good for me so that I could pray to that situation or to that person. (Give an experience which you become peacemaker).

Aren’t we thankful that because of our Savior Jesus Christ we can be good? We can sincerely show our kindness because of God the Holy Spirit indwells us. (AMEN!)

LESSON OUTLINE:

1.  GOODNESS DEFINED

How often do you hear someone say, “That was a good movie!” “That was a good meal.” “He’s such a good friend.” “That was a good joke.” We’ve all heard or said those things.

When you come to the Bible the word “good” means so much more. The Hebrew word is “tob.” See Ps.25:8. The Greek word here “agathos.” See 2 Thess. 1:11; Rom. 15:14; Eph. 5:8-9. It means that which is morally pure; pleasing to God; beneficial to others. What can we say about goodness?

a)   It Begins Upward - Only God is good. Mark 10:17-22. The only way I can be good is to have God.

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. (Mark 10:18)

b)   It Blesses Inward “Goodness consists not in the outward things we do, but in the inward thing we are.” Edwin Chapin.

c)   It Benefits Outward It is beneficial to others.

God is the source of, course to and force behind all goodness. I can’t produce it on my own. James 2:17; I Pet. 2:3.

2.  GOODNESS DEMONSTRATED

Goodness has to be experienced before it can be expressed. It has to be worked in before it can be worked out. Read Matt. 12:33-35. What does goodness look like? You see it in:

33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit. 34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

33 “Sinasabi ninyong mabuti ang punongkahoy kung mabuti ang kanyang bunga at masama ang punongkahoy kung masama ang kanyang bunga, sapagkat sa bunga nakikilala ang puno. 34 Lahi ng mga ulupong! Paano kayong makakapagsabi ng mabubuting bagay gayong kayo'y masasama? Kung ano ang nag-uumapaw sa puso ay siyang sinasabi ng bibig. 35 Mabuti ang sinasabi ng mabuting tao, sapagkat puno ng kabutihan ang kanyang puso. Masama ang sinasabi ng masamang tao, sapagkat puno ng kasamaan ang kanyang puso.

 

a)   The Good Seamstress Acts 9:36. Dorcas was a dressmaker. She was a Christian businesswoman. Study the passage and you will see her redemption, resurrection, revival and reputation. She did what she did because of who she was.

Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did.

b)   The Good Servant Acts 4:36; 11:22-24. Here is Barnabas the landowner. He was a real estate man. The words “good” and “full” come from the same root word. He was forgiven, full, following and fruitful.

 

For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.  (Acts 11:24)

 

c)    The Good Samaritan Lk.10:25-37

d)   The Good Shepherd John 10:11. Jesus didn’t come as a good cowboy to rustle but a good shepherd to redeem. Study Matt. 7:17; Rom. 12:21; Col. 1:10; Eph. 2:10; 2 Thess 2:17;

3.  GOODNESS DEVELOPED

How can one develop goodness?

 

a)   Decide About Salvation Many people think they are good. Compared to what? God is the author and standard of goodness. None of us measure up. That’s why we need Jesus. See Rom. 2:6-8.

b)   Abide In The Savior John 15:4

c)   Reside In The Scriptures Rom. 10:17; 2 Tim.3:16-17; Heb.10:24. “The heart of a good man is the sanctuary of God.”

 

CONCLUSION:

I remember the king Hezekiah in the Bible: God told him to say goodbye and prepare himself for his end. He had a terminal illness.  Hezekiah turned himself to the wall and prayed to the Lord. He wept bitterly.

I beseech thee, O Lord, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore. (2 Kings 20:3)

This doesn’t mean that God has a memory issue to this but Hezekiah gave emphasis to this matter.  He gave God a credit report (give ideas about credit card rules). Even though He had flaws, but if you look at his credit report, there’s spiritual consistency without being perfect. If we are in terminal situation and we show God our spiritual credit report, how would it be? Could it be: always late and seldom early, always absent in kid’s ministry, DCubes, Choir, Fellowship and other ministries, not faithful in giving and don’t listen attentively in sermons. Did we show goodness in our credit report? In addition, we cannot change your credit report on that day.

2 KINGS 20: 5 Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of my people, Thus saith the Lord, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: on the third day thou shalt go up unto the house of the Lord. <God feel us>

2 KINGS 20: 6 And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; …

Bible says, God changes not. God changed his decision on Hezekiah’s decision; prayer changed it. God’s characteristics: mercy, grace, truth, love, holiness, righteousness, omnipotent, omnipresent, and etc. God has character qualities and those are unchangeable. God’s nature cannot change but His actions may change.

WHEN GOD ADDED 15 YEARS OF HEZEKIAH’S LIFE, IS THAT ALL? Let’s see the verse.

2 KINGS 20: 6 And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

 When Hezekiah was in terminal situation and God reversed his situation and He gave him an additional of 15 years of his life, IS NOT JUST FOR HIM! He gave him additional 15 years not for him to have a party-party life but GOD WANTED TO USE HIM TO DELIVER HIS PEOPLE FROM THE ATTACK OF THE ASSYRIANS. Hezekiah was not only given life but also purpose in life. Hezekiah was given new opportunity to do something for God. So you see, if we are still have breathing or still living, we have purpose to do on earth. SERVING THE LORD is one way of showing goodness; share the goodness of the Lord to other people. When God gives us new opportunity, HE wants us to be a blessing not just be blessed.

Another thing in verses 8 and 9

And Hezekiah said unto Isaiah, What shall be the sign that the Lord will heal me, and that I shall go up into the house of the Lord the third day? And Isaiah said, This sign shalt thou have of the Lord, that the Lord will do the thing that he hath spoken: shall the shadow go forward ten degrees, or go back ten degrees?

(insert the sundial topic/daylight saving time)

 

Why did God give him that sign?

God used the sun for a sign. The issue here is the Assyria was going to attack. The name of the Assyrian god is “Assur” and he’s the god of the sun. So God gave him a sign tied to the ministry that He wants Hezekiah to perform once he’s healed. God can control everything even the sun.

THE CHALLENGE FOR US: Change your credit report. Serve the Lord. As part of it, show goodness to the brethren and to other people.

MATTHEW 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIAN DRAMA SCRIPT TITLED "PANGARAP NA PAMILYA" by krisha

CHRISTIAN TAGALOG DRAMA SCRIPT TITLED "PINAGKAITAN NG LIWANAG " by krisha412